Louisiana is prone to hurricanes and high wind storms, and when those high winds and torrential downpours come and hit your roof, you don’t want to be dealing with storm damage every time there’s a hurricane. That’s why it’s critical to have a sound and durable roof that can withstand high winds, hail, and wind-driven rain to protect you, your family, and your home’s possessions.
Fortunately, some roofs are designed to withstand high wind speeds, and we at Premier South Roofing specialize in installing and replacing these kinds of roofs. Read on to find out the best roofing options for areas with hurricanes and high winds.
The Benefits of Asphalt Shingle Roofing
There are many reasons why homeowners in Louisiana choose Premier South Roofing to repair their asphalt shingles over other types of roofs. There are many advantages to asphalt shingles, some of which include:
- Ability to withstand adverse weather: Most three-tab shingles are rated for wind speeds up to 60-70 mph, which is the average speed of most tropical storms. On the other hand, architectural and dimensional shingles are heavier and typically rated for up to 110 mph winds, which means they’re a bit more durable during a hurricane.
- Affordability: Asphalt shingles are one of the most popular roofing options in New Orleans because they’re usually the most affordable.
- Low maintenance: Asphalt shingle roofs generally require little maintenance throughout their lifespan. We do suggest an annual inspection before and after a hurricane. We recommend that the roof is checked periodically for debris, moss, and leaves to ensure there are no potential causes for damage.
Do You Need a New Roof?
There are several signs that it may be time for a new roof, but the best way to determine the extent of the damage is to have it inspected by a professional roofing company like Premier South Roofing. Some common signs include:
- Water leaks: An apparent leak is one of the most common signs that you need a roof replacement. As roofs weaken, water can seep through the shingles and into the rest of the house, leading to water intrusion. Signs of water leakage include visible puddles during rainstorms, mold or mildew growth on ceilings or walls, paint damage to woodwork or trim, and water stains on the interior walls and ceilings.
- Damaged shingles: High-speed winds can rip shingles completely off a roof or lift them and cause them to crack, opening up your roof to leaks and UV damage. If windstorms are followed by rain or snow, moisture can quickly seep into the roofing system, leading to water damage. So, if you notice missing, curling, or cracked shingles and lost granules, it’s probably time for a roof replacement.
- Aging roof: Experts recommend that you replace your roof somewhere around 80-85% of the manufacturer’s life of the roof. For example, you should consider replacing a 25-year roof around the 20-year mark. Don’t wait until it’s too late! Get ahead of any potential problems and replace your roof with Premier South Roofing before the end of its life.
How Being Proactive Pays Off
Severe storms can come at a moment’s notice, and if you’re not prepared, you could be facing massive repairs or even a total roof replacement. Rain alone can damage a roof, but when you add high winds and flying debris or hail to the mix, your roof can sustain significant damage. That’s why you need to be proactive about your roof maintenance.
Proactive maintenance means taking the necessary steps to maintain your roof to stay in good shape. It includes having your roof inspected by experts to identify and fix any minor issues before they turn into major ones. Here are the benefits of proactive roof care:
- Enjoy peace of mind: When regular inspections and repairs are performed, you won’t have to worry about roof leaks or shingles blowing away every time a storm hits.
- Spend less money: While being proactive with your roof care will require you to spend money sooner than later, it can also save you money in the long run. For example, if you have a tiny leak in your roof and you catch it early on, it won’t require as much replacement work, making the necessary repairs more affordable.
- Increase your roof’s lifespan: Exposure to typical weather can slowly deteriorate your roof, making your home more vulnerable to heavy rain, snow, and hail storms. Proactive roof care can sustain and even extend your roof’s performance, protecting your home from harsh weather conditions for years to come.
Pick a High-Quality Roofer
Your roof is one of the most critical parts of your home, so you must ensure that only the best people work on it. When you speak with potential roofing contractors, ask them about their credentials and certifications. Be sure to hire a qualified professional to back up their work.
At Premier South Roofing, we only use manufacturers that have shown continuing commitment to improving the quality and affordability of their products. We install durable Atlas shingles and are one of Louisiana’s only Atlas Certified Installers. We can install asphalt shingles reinforced with organic material, wood fibers, or fiberglass. This roofing system will typically last 20 to 30 years. We can also install laminate shingles that come in various colors and textures, lasting 25 to 50 years.
Partnering the asphalt shingles from top-rated manufacturers with our superior knowledge and expertise will give you a beautiful roof that can withstand New Orleans’ hurricanes for years to come.
Work with Premier South Roofing Today for Your Louisiana Roofing Needs
Whether your roof is aging, you can see signs of damage, or the roof recently sustained storm damage, it’s essential to act fast when you suspect a problem! At Premier South Roofing, we have years of experience installing, replacing, and repairing asphalt shingle roofs. Our roofing professionals will recommend the best asphalt roof that will protect your family and property from Louisiana hurricanes for years to come. Contact us today to request an appointment!
Image Credit: LMPark Photos / Shutterstock